Wednesday, January 11, 2012

-leaves-


I was walking home from the gym the other morning and saw something I hadn't seen in a long time. Across the street from my neighborhood is a small park. One of my favorite things about this little park are the beautiful deciduous trees that line the back border. I am not sure what type of trees they are, but they have shallow roots that bulge above the surface of the grass. Fall is my favorite season. It comes to town well past the time you would expect it to. I have been watching these trees and have loved seeing the leaves change colors. Not to long ago, I was noticing how many leaves were still on the trees. That is why I was so surprised when I glanced over at them on my walk. There must have been a pretty strong wind blow through here recently, because all the trees were completely bare. The grass was covered with a blanket of thick, crunchy leaves. Not just a few piles here and there, but everywhere. I had never seen the park with so many leaves. It was truly a beautiful sight. I knew I would be going over to get a closer look. After Megan got home, we took our pup to the park. Zoey had never seen leaves like that, she happily crunched over them as she chased her ball. She tried to eat a few and even had some hanging from her beard. I sat right down on a big pile of them and soaked up their happiness. I know it sounds weird, but fall leaves have always made me happy. I was planning on going again the next day, but as I drove by, I saw the landscapers truck. They worked all day, but managed to bundle up all the leaves and take them away. I was so sad. Why can't leaves on the ground have a longer life span around here? They weren't hurting anything.

Happiness.

1 comment: