Thursday, November 17, 2011

Chocolate Silk Pie

I am in love with chocolate cream pie. I have never attempted to make it until now. This recipe is so easy to make that I can't believe I have gone 41 years without making chocolate pie for myself. I used a pre-made crust, which was extremely lame of me. It made the pie slightly sub-standard. I recommend making your own pie crust, you can find a great recipe and tutorial here


1 unbaked pastry shell 9 inches
1 jar marshmallow creme  (7 oz)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter, cubed
2 squares (1 oz each) of unsweetened chocolate
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped

Topping:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 Tablespoons confectioners sugar

Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy duty foil. Bake at 450 degrees for 8 minutes. Remove foil, bake 5 minutes longer. Cool.
Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, combine the marshmallow creme, chocolate chips, butter, and unsweetened chocolate; cook and stir over low heat until the chocolate is smooth. Cool. Fold in the whipped cream; pour into crust. (I wanted a smoother texture, so I beat this mixture for a few minutes with a mixer.) For topping, in a large mixing bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over filling. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Garnish with grated chocolate if desired.
*recipe courtesy of Quick Cooking Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment